Welcome to the start of a new and exciting year at DU! There has been plenty of excitement surrounding all of the great work that each of you have been involved in over the past year. As we all know by now, the results of our collective efforts, which include phenomenal outcomes in persistence, retention and graduation rates, have everybody buzzing about our future to be outlined in Vision 2020!
Enrollment, recruitment specifically, is an area that we are paying a considerable amount of attention to and are hoping to continue to improve upon to help make Vision 2020 a reality. Last year our enrollment team set out to establish a framework for an Annual Strategic Recruitment Plan which would guide our efforts to address our current enrollment challenges while continuing to make sure that our recruitment efforts are aligned with our vision and strategic goals. That document, Strategic Recruitment Plan 2014 – 2015, has been and will continue to be, available for your review online. The first iteration of the plan incorporated discussions with several individuals outside of the enrollment team but admittedly did not include as much input from faculty and staff as we would prefer. While this is a great first effort, we intend our next plan to be much more inclusive.
Over the next few weeks we will begin to discuss the drafting of the 2015 – 2016 Strategic Recruitment Plan. We would love your input/feedback. It would be beneficial to “re-familiarize” yourself with the framework laid out in our 2014 – 2015 plan. In general, this framework focuses on three subsets of the new student audience: Traditional students (high school students, dual enrolled and middle college, etc.), direct Michigan community college transfer students, and adult students (including graduate, military, international, online, corporate partnership and indirect transfer students).
We would like to gather input/feedback from the DU community as we believe recruitment is everybody’s responsibility. To that end, please consider the following topics/questions for consideration in the 2015 – 2016 plan:
- How can faculty, staff and students be more strategically deployed in our recruitment efforts? How can you make a difference?
- How can we best capture and leverage the dynamic experiences students should anticipate when coming to DU – in the classroom? Residence Hall? On and around campus?
- What do you do in your classroom/office/department really well and wish we could brag about?
- What connections do you/we have in community colleges, high schools and industry that could be leveraged to help increase spreading the good news about DU?
- Where did you go to high school? College? How could you work with the enrollment team to leverage that experience/relationship?
A Recruitment Plan webpage, located on our Strategic Planning site, has been set up to facilitate the conversation – a “suggestion box” if you will. Please visit it and offer your great suggestion(s) (a “great” suggestion is always one that involves the suggestor’s active participation in the implementation) between September 5 and September 19.
Thanks again for all you do to make DU the great place that it is!